Thursday, August 8, 2013

ZERO

Unfortunately, that is exactly how much patience I have today.  Not just with mom ... with other drivers on the road, the older couple that cut in front of us at the Lab, my kids, the radio personalities, the lifeguard that kept his head down most of the time I swam this morning.  I haven't been snappy, but I FEEL snappy.

It's muggy - my least favorite weather kind of day.  It makes my hair happy, but I am full-on hateful about it. 

I fear the next 3 weeks will make or break me - we are in that "back to school" mode.  Summer dance is finished, but fall dance is starting, along with a baby shower (and the shopping that goes with it), a parent meeting and a desperate need for new tights.  Meet the teacher is coming up - how to handle that and keep mom happy?  Baseball is over, but fall conditioning baseball is starting.  Football is starting - at night - how inconvenient.  Then HIGH SCHOOL and a new start time and football after school and football games on Thursday evenings and, did I mention, fall baseball?!  Then there's back to school supplies and clothes and shoes that need purchased...and the ever-elusive backpack...always a pain in the rear.

Mom is irritable because other than breakfast and all other pre-10am activities - her life is not what she expects.  She's also anxious - trying to figure out why it all doesn't make sense - taking her further back into "way back when".  "Way back when" has prompted a new QOD - "Did you go to town?"  Cracks me up...not that I'd admit it - I'm too impatient, remember?  :-)  You'd think I lived in the country not smack dab in the middle of the suburbs.  I must also be living in a Green Acres episode - because, really?  who talks like that?  Apparently mom did. 

When we were leaving to go to the doctor she said "Well, that's not what I am supposed to do.  I'm supposed to wait here until Grandma Perry comes and picks me up."  WAY back when!

And it's muggy - so I have lost all patience.  I have explained it to the kiddos - so they are tormenting me and I am being completely evil in a fun way and it all works out.  They are doing chores without being asked, staying out of my way, telling me how much they love me.  They must have my share of patience!  It helps.

It also helps that I realize I am not at the top of my game today.  I can work around it - I am probably only answering the QOD's/QOH's with 50% enthusiasm, but I haven't lost my temper or been ugly.  I was getting close, so I decided I would type a bit of Alzheimer's caregiver therapy!

Thank you blog for giving me a place to vent - I am sure it makes me better able to be there for mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment