Sunday, August 18, 2013

Darned if I do, darned if I don't!

Life lesson learned living with Alzheimer's - certain things "stick"

for instance:  mom will ask every morning where everyone is - thinking we are at Meadowlakes and wondering aloud where all the other women are that she used to have breakfast with.  BUT if I set down more than 2 placemats at the table she will ask who else is coming to breakfast or if there is room for her at the table...strange phenomenon

my newest 3-times-a-day challenge is Sophie.  She begs!  And mom constantly sneaks her the healthy food that she doesn't want to eat and Sophie is always an optimist!  If I feed Sophie before we sit down to eat - she begs and mom asks if she is hungry.  "Nope, she just ate!" we all answer with smiles in our voices.  "She sure looks hungry - did she eat?", mom asks.  and round and round it goes until I finally have to put Sophie in her kennel so we can talk about something (anything) else. 

If I wait to feed Sophie until after we are done (how we always used to do it before mom came to live with us) she begs and mom asks if she is hungry.  "She'll be fine - she always eats right after we finish eating." we all say with smiles in our voices.  "Poor little doggie - she looks so hungry." and we have another round and round until I finally have to put Sophie in her kennel. 

I'm thinking of going vegan to ease this pain - Sophie doesn't beg for fruit, salad, oatmeal, etc - just eggs, meat, cheese - of course then I'd have to listen to the kids complain about that - and mom would starve - she never met a vegetable she was very fond of except the tomato.

I guess this is another one of those Alzheimer Catch 22's!  Who knows?  Maybe Sophie will learn table manners yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment