Friday, August 9, 2013

Back To School with minimum drama with my mama!

Today is the start of Tax Free Weekend - something I try to avoid like the plague.  Unfortunately, this year, it coincides with the start of the $10 jeans sale at Old Navy.  Peyton does not love jeans, but there are always occasions when she needs them - so $10 jeans are the way to go!

I also HAD to go to the grocery - still a joy for me, even though I know it's tough on mom when I leave.  Today I went to the Neighborhood Market - nothing fancy, but I still love the grocery!  I talked to an old friend the entire time I was shopping - two for the price of one!

Anyway, I think we are all settling in to the fact that life is just different these days - and that includes mom.  She's snarky when she isn't getting her way and especially when I am not around, BUT she is finding a routine or pattern or comfort zone.

I was worried about today after the doctor and the blood draw yesterday.  She really hates it when the doctor or nurse talk to me about her - even though I think she realizes she doesn't have any idea if she fell recently or has any pain - she does not like them asking me first.  So I try and make it like a dance of words - they ask me, I ask her and then paraphrase the answers in a way that makes it seem like I am answering, but will allow her to override me if "I get it wrong".  I always follow up with a "That's right, isn't it Mom?"  That seems to help her save face or whatever she's doing and although it makes it take longer, it keeps the peace!  I am a fan of the peace!

Anyway, Patrick is closing today, so he was going to be home until 2:30 and I have to strike while there is opportunity to accomplish!  So I made a lunch favorite of the entire family - BLTs, baked up some freezer cookies to comfort mom, got Peyton ready quietly and we were out the door like ghosts.

She has taken to sitting in the formal living room (we call it the Red Room) when she is sick of whatever the kiddos are watching on tv or if we are being too loud or if we are having a conversation she can't follow AND whenever I am gone.  It's like she is watching and waiting for my return.  I'm Arturo - remember that from "Overboard"?  Funny!  And there she sat until Peyton and I returned with jeans, a new lunch bento and a cute t.  No interest on either of their parts to show off the new jeans or anything else...makes me sad - Peyton usually LOVES to show off anything new, but she can tell that Grandma gets confused about who she is and why she's excited about pants or earrings or dance shoes or anything else.  So, she made her poor brother pretend to be interested in her jeans and bento.  What a good boy!

She's calm now - we reestablish what day it is every few minutes, but we are done with the "how long were you gone?...it seemed like a really long time!" part of the conversation.  Maybe a breakthrough - maybe just a good day. 

I feel blessed by every good day - who knows how many more we will get.  Sophie is with us - constantly on guard, protecting the house, protecting me, keeping mom company.  She's not very snuggly, but she knows when one of her people (and mom is definitely one of her people now) need her to stay close!

So one more BTS thing off the list - tomorrow:  cami's and long shorts, maybe some leggings.  She wants to keep her last year's backpack - I am over the moon happy about that!  Hopefully we will manage tomorrow's shopping with as little drama as today.  Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment