Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Whistle While You Work

Actually, it's more like Hum While You're At the Doctor's Office - but definitely musical!

Today, mom had a doctor's appointment and I made the decision not to tell her about it before it was nearly time to leave.  I often wonder about the impact of lying in front of the kids - I mean, she point-blank asked me if she had anything to do today and I said NO.  But, if I do tell her about an appointment or that I have to leave to do something, she spends all her energy worrying about it.

Well, not actually worrying about IT, but about something - it gets stuck in there and she worries - frets - bites her nails - mumbles - starts and doesn't finish questions about "IT" - and can't eat or drink.  It's just not worth it.

So today, I didn't tell her and then when it was time to leave - it was an adventure.  She likes the appointments where all the attention is on her - especially when it's just for an INR check - no sickness, no lab work - just a finger poke and a lot of people fussing over her.  All of that with the bonus of a car ride!

My point is, she was in a good mood and she decided to show it by random humming and da-da-dumming - and she put some volume behind it!  Who cares, right?  She was joyful and she wanted to sing.  It made me smile.  And then it made me wonder - was it disrupting anyone else in the waiting room?  And then I decided she was joyful and who cares?  and then I went back the other way....and THEN - mom busted out in her version of "Yo Ho Blow the Man Down!"!!!  And she knew she was being loud and silly and she was just daring the world to say something.  Go Mom!

I decided at this stage of our game - Joy far outweighs decorum!  once again - Yay Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment