Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Sometimes Grace is Chloronated Water

"And the real mystery of grace is that it always arrives in time. Like the wind, grace finds us wherever we are and won’t leave us however we were found. "

I came across these words on Ann Voskamp's blog and I was transported to the pool.

I have taken up lap swimming every weekday morning at 5am at Keller Pointe.  The discipline to get to the pool on time to get my swim in and still make it home in time to get the kiddos ready and to school and get mom her breakfast is a task to be conquered daily.  Busting through the doors of TKP and rushing through the locker room in time to get a lane is crazy hectic.  Being faced each morning with a 45 minute swim that challenges my lungs, legs, arms and resolve is a bit overwhelming.

And then I slink under the lane line and dip my head in the water.  Put my hair in a pony.  Get my goggles on.  Face the lap ahead of me.  And push off....

I wish I had the words to describe the peace and joy and exhilaration I feel every time I'm in the water.  I am weightless, my knees don't ache, my body feels strong, my mind feels free and I am lifted.  I believe it is by Grace.  It feels like worship and prayer and playing and rejoicing and work and flying.

Today I was a stud.  I was stronger than usual - I'm sure the result of doing this since June.  I am still the weakest swimmer of the bunch - some of these guys are amazing!  But I am pretty sure I am the most joyful swimmer in the bunch!  I absolutely know how good this is for my physically, but that's not why I'm doing it.  This is my time.  My happy hour.  My escape.  My joy!

My chlorinated grace time finds me at the beginning of a new day, no idea what might be ahead.  Sometimes it finds me wrapped up in worries or challenges from the previous day, but it never leaves me there.  I leave the pool, the showers, the locker room, the facility and the parking lot armed with a peace that I can draw on all day long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment