Friday, September 13, 2013

Be careful what you wish for...

Today has been one of those mentally exhausting days where if something can go just wrong enough to throw off 4 other things...it has!  I think I've handled it pretty well...there was a moment in Central's parking lot where I thought I might cry or break my steering wheel in half, but a song and a pretty sky saved me.

I type this because I am in need of some time where not one single person needs one single thing from me.  Not just time for me to sleep - and I LOVE my sleep! - but it's starting to feel like it doesn't count...doesn't deposit into the Lisa-time account!  Anyway, 5:20pm and I have 15 minutes - not time for dinner yet, clothes in the washer, clothes in the dryer, kids all where they are supposed to be, plants watered for the SECOND time today (blast this heat!) and a Jimmy Fallon to watch.  15 minutes!!!

For some reason (and I think I know why), mom was not entertained by Jimmy.  It was, after all, too late for Jimmy - we are supposed to watch Jimmy after lunch and before we pick up Peyton...not after we pick up Peyton and before dinner...although after lunch and before dinner are technically the same thing!

So mom does what mom does - and that's wander from room to room muttering about trying to find "that thing", "my ... oh you know", "make sure I know where my room is", "I've need to run in here to do something", "I just want to make sure..........".  She had a hair appointment today and it didn't thrill her.  She wasn't excited to go.  She didn't seem to enjoy it while she was there.  She did enjoy the fuss when she was done - mom has a beautiful head of hair and the ladies at New Hair Line think she's cute and like to fuss over her!  And then she was ready to be home.  She had a tough time in the car - totally obsessing about not knowing where she was, only talking about trees...I really need to make that a post someday - mom's favorite conversation starter, the tree.

I think that's why the evening wandering started early.  No naps, up too early this morning and being out of her element and getting scared.

Since mom moved in, I have been trying to convince her that this is her home too.  I want her to understand that she is living in my house, but that she is part of our family.  I think it's starting to backfire!  She now thinks it's her house and she is making herself right at home.  Today during the late afternoon wander she started going through stacks of papers.  She took everything with my name on it and put it in her walker.  When I asked her what she had - she said, "Well, these are letters for my daughter Lisa.  I'm not sure why they are sending them to me here, but I am going to take them to her when she comes to pick me up."  She thought it was funny that her daughter, me, had so many letters and she only had two.  Her bank statement and the monthly Medicare statement.   I managed to get my letters away from her, but she is holding on to HER letters with all her might.  She gets them out every 2 minutes and tries to figure out what they say and then folds them up and spends 3 minutes trying to get them back in the envelope.

I think today wore us both out.  I am waiting for P to get home, Murph to finish his movie (mom is thankfully already asleep) and I am off to bed.  Happy to start fresh tomorrow.  Who knows what adventures it may bring!?

No comments:

Post a Comment