Sunday, September 15, 2013

Miracle

Last night we watched Miracle.  I love that movie.  I am sometimes embarrassed by how many times I have watched it and how many times I cry at the exact same places.  But I know what I love and that's all there is to it.

Watching with mom was surreal....we watched the actual US v. USSR together back in 1980.  Mom is the reason I love the Olympics.  She watched them always and so I watched them too.  I love the Opening Ceremonies, I watch any event that is on.  I adore the human interest stories and I always cheer for the Americans and any underdog that is competing.

I was away at college, but mom and I talked on the phone a couple of times a week.  We talked about the Olympics.  We talked about the hockey team!  We talked about the figure skating - mom LOVED figure skating!  Anyway, when it came time for the US to play the Soviet Union and no one at Bluffton was nearly as interested as I was - I drove to Lima to watch with mom.  I can still remember where we were each sitting, I remember Angie peeking in to watch and cheer with us, I remember Daddy coming home for the last half of the game.  It's one of those "do you remember where you were when...." moments - but this one had a happy ending.  No one was killed, nothing was bombed, not a white Bronco in sight.  And it's gone for mom.

Maybe it wasn't as important to her even when it was happening, but it breaks my heart that it's gone.  It's not a memory, a flicker or a vague anything.  It's just gone.  I wanted to remind her - to help her...no, to FORCE her to remember, but I knew it would upset her or make her sad, so we watched a nice movie that she had never seen before and she lost interest about mid-way.

I miss my mom even though she's just 20 feet away.


No comments:

Post a Comment