Tuesday, July 23, 2013

You've GOT to be kidding me!

Last week I met the nicest woman from the Alzheimer's Organization who runs a program called REACH - all about caring for the caregivers.  She gave me some great information and some great resources...but are they really great?

How is it that a disease that effects over 5 million people in America can have so few grant- or government-funded programs?  Obviously the foundations that are run by the wealthy - who must have no idea what it is like to not be able to pay for care - put their money behind cures and research and other diseases that have touched them.

Anyway, there is a program out there that is supposed to provide affordable respite care for dementia patients only to find out that it is really designed for the physical not the mental.  How is it more dangerous for someone with physical limitations to be alone than it is for someone with advanced dementia to be alone?  "Prompting", she says, "doesn't qualify you for care."  I was blown away!  Mom can't answer or dial a phone, can't operate a tv remote, can't put her dentures in without my help, can't cut her own food - not because she doesn't have the strength, but because she can't remember how.

I also know I downplay a lot of the things I do for mom, because she's my mom and it doesn't seem like that big of a deal, so maybe I don't adequately communicate mom's physical needs.

On the plus side - the woman who called was able to ask me the right questions and uncover a way to qualify me for the program.  BUT - the program is only for 6 months and after you have completed the 6 months - you can't requalify - you our banned from the program for 12 months.  Really makes you think - do I want the freedom now just to have some freedom and sanity for my family OR should I wait until mom gets worse and I NEED the extra care and her physical abilities have deteriorated past where I can care for her?

Now is not the time for me to solve this, but I feel sure my future after mom has passed will involved trying to find funding or a solution that will provide sitter services for dementia patients so families don't have to make really tough choices through no fault of their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment