Monday, July 22, 2013

Is today the beginning of the "new normal" or is it just Monday???

Today we were back at it - full force.  Conditioning camp for Murph, laps in the pool for me, Ballet Intensive for Peanut, speech therapy and a bath for mom.  I also knew I had 2 errands I have been putting off for these past few weeks and I was determined to accomplish at least one of them today - to avoid the nagging inner voice that comes to visit about bedtime on days when I cave and don't do what needs to be done!

So off I went - even when mom looked at me with her "please just stay here with me" eyes.  The Speech Therapist - who I adore! - was just getting started and I had to get my oil changed and my transmission flushed...if they are going to charge that much for it, I would prefer they call it something nicer - perhaps something spa-like!

I can't tell you how thrilled I was to accomplish this one little thing...not quite as thrilled to fork over the $300, but hey, maintenance is cheaper than a new vehicle, right!  And speaking of maintenance - I had some time to kill and all my WWF buddies must have been doing real work leaving me with no moves to play, so I picked up a magazine and there were all kinds of suggestions on diet to aid in memory health.  Many mentioned Alzheimer's - that's the kind of maintenance I am willing to invest in!

Bring on my next errand...a trip to the grocery!  I got everything on the list and several of the things mentioned in the article.  Concord grape juice, seeds to sprinkle in my salads and on cereal (sunflower and flax), blueberries (although they are always on the list this time of year!) and organic strawberries.  I will also be trying the 12-hour daily fast.  Nothing to eat for 12 hours each night.  I guess if I mess up one evening, I will just eat breakfast at 10 the next morning.  I was thrilled to see full-strength coffee on the good list - I got a nice Italian Roast for good measure!

My point in all this is - I cannot be with mom 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  I can't!  So I need to do what needs to be done.  There is no chance she will understand or learn to understand.  I can only hope she will get used to it, it will feel more right than wrong.  I am trying to keep some things consistent - her meal times, her pills, her bed time and what time I get her up to start the day.  I can't tell you how much I wanted to sleep in on Saturday.  I never want to sleep in, mostly because I am not that good of a sleeper, but last Saturday, I was CRAVING sleeping in.  Maybe one day that will be something I can let go of too.

Maybe later this week (tomorrow, perhaps?) I will reschedule those doctor's appointments I had to cancel.  Because really, if I'm not here to take care of her - who will?

No comments:

Post a Comment