Saturday, July 20, 2013

An Alzheimer's WOW moment

You think you understand what short term memory loss is until you spend 24/7 with an Alzheimer's patient.  This morning mom and I were sitting at the kitchen table having breakfast.  She sits at the head of the table so she can look out the window into the back yard and doesn't have to be sitting right across from anyone - it's a bit too much for her.  Anyway, I had the sprinklers on really gently watering the flower beds and I could see her really concentrating on something outside...it was the water...was it raining?  was that even water?  She finally asked "Do I see water out there?" and I said yes, I was watering the flower beds. 

In the seconds it took her to look down at her plate to take a bite of food, she forgot.  We had a variation of that exchange 7 times in the next 10-15 minutes.  WOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment