Friday, January 10, 2014

Five Minute Friday: See



Kinda feeling proud of myself - a second week taking 5 minutes all to myself to write.  I've been admiring/watching/reading/dreaming about the community of writers who gather every Friday to write for 5 minutes on a topic chosen and posted by Lisa Jo Baker and as a part of a new year and a new commitment to spend more time on things that fill me....I not only admire/watch/read/dream  - I write.



Rushing through life...
January 10, 2014   SEE

I now know that life is more precious when I take time to SEE it.  Not just a glance around to make sure nothing is on fire and no one is shooting nasty glances or sneaking a peak at tv instead of doing homework.  When I deliberately stop and SEE - my kids, my husband, my mom and myself.

Life is beautiful when you look for the beauty.  Patience is increased when you SEE all the blessings.  Ann Voskamp's book changed how I see when I read it early last year - a gift I can never repay.  But in being thankful instead of envious has changed how I see everything.

Now, I fail daily, but the best thing about life in general - it's a quick fix to start again.  To put away the past habits and look with thankfulness, with the eyes of a mother, a daughter, a wife and a child of God.  What I see when I use my "glass half full" eyes always takes my breath away.  It lowers my blood pressure, it makes me kinder to others and to myself, it pushes me to do something that matters in my day.  It reminds me to praise, to take the high road, to love more.

Pausing right this second in the midst of my 5 Minutes - I see my Sophie Beast, perfectly contented lying on the sofa looking out the window on a rainy day - ready to pretend to be a fierce guard dog should the situation arise.  My ears "see" my mom laughing at Kathie Lee and Hoda in the next room and know that she is contented for the moment.

Now that's a precious sight for any day!




http://lisajobaker.com/five-minute-friday/

2 comments:

  1. I love that your new vision makes you kinder to yourself. I think we are all so hard on ourselves to the point we set up impossible standards to live by. Thanks for the great post. Stopping over from FMF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Popping in from FMF. You presented a wonderful picture of the "new" you--not perfect, but moving nearer to Jesus. Praying you continue to see Him in the moments of your days.

    ReplyDelete