Friday, January 3, 2014

Fight...(my first 5-minute Friday post/attempt)

Fight seems like such a strange word in the beginning of a year - is it a fight we need to let go of?  A will to fight the good fight?  A opportunity to get something off your chest about a fight...a fight I may be fighting alone - without the other person even knowing there IS a fight?  how about the fight to keep a NY Resolution?  That's a good one - at least it seems good considering the number of people in "my" pool this morning...only one of which I recognized.  Truthfully, I am proud of the fight they are fighting and hope they become regulars and it becomes "our" pool - just like it did for me last year!

On this venue, however, fight takes on the blush of ALZ - as does everything in my life these days.  I fight daily with my patience (or lack thereof), I fight daily to be grateful and to recognize the beautiful opportunity I have been given to take care of my mother in this terrible time.  I fight hourly to stay open to God's lessons for me.  To let go and know that He's got it! 

I watch mom fight to recognize her surroundings, the season, the faces, the daily routines that are becoming less routine and more of a task.  I fight back tears and wonder how I come from her - when I realize that I have never seen her cry - no fighting back the tears for my mom.  I am guessing that's why her fight is different than my fight will be - she is fighting to not need anyone - I need people.  I need family...and I guess because I come from her, I have fought my whole life to be okay with that. 

Today I will fight to be kind, patient, to answer the same 3 or 4 questions over and over with a smile and with enthusiasm.  And I will hope that doctors and researchers are fighting to end this horrible disease before it's too late for me and my daughter.

...okay, my 5 minutes is up and that was so strange and wonderful - I hope to add this to my weekly routine.  But talk about FIGHT - I wanted to go back and edit or change or take things out or clarify... but I am, after all, a rule-follower and know that I came upon this challenge for a reason.  Salute to all you weekly posters and challenge-takers.  You are fabulous.

1 comment:

  1. I like the perspective of fighting to be kind and patient. A fight I want to win more often than I do currently. Greetings from a fellow FMF writer! :)

    ReplyDelete