Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Silliness is Worth the Extra Explanation

 It's not a huge secret that I require Jimmy Fallon in my day.  To me, he is joy.  He makes me laugh out loud.  And at the risk of sounding pitiful - his show is an hourly vacation for me.  I wish I could stay up to watch it live - because you'd have to live under a rock to not see clips and spoil some of the magic when you watch it the following afternoon.  And even though he's on earlier now, I get up at 4:25am to get my swim in, so Jimmy entertains me while I make dinner every evening. 

Mom usually sits in the family room while I chop and cook and putter around the kitchen and as I have said before - she seems to really enjoy watching too.

Last night we watched Monday's show - actually I had watched the clip from the monologue about John Travolta's mix up at the Oscars at least 20 times throughout the day - had to show it to my husband, the kids and just because when I even think about it - I start to giggle!  So while I was making the world's best turkey meatloaf (NO, that's not an oxymoron - it's ridiculously delish) we watched the rest of the show.

What a great show.  You just can't argue with Jimmy and Tina Fey - they were great on Weekend Update and they are great now.  Her stories about her kids - hysterical.  The Russian accent - funny.  And then there was the "Lip Flip".  I couldn't breathe!  I know I like to laugh more than a lot of people and I'm not remotely cool about it - I laugh loudly - with gusto, you might say.  And this was so funny.

And mom just didn't get it.  It's one of the things you have to learn to have patience and understanding for as an ALZ caregiver.  Why on earth would a Lip Flip version of Endless Love make sense?  First it was "what is wrong with those people?", then "what is that supposed to mean?", then "what is his...her?... name?"  So I would pause it and try and explain.  That did not help.  At all!  So I watched.  And I laughed (loud enough that my son had to come downstairs to see what the ruckus was about!).  And mom kept watching and asking questions.  Finally I said "Mom, it's just silliness."  and in a moment of clarity she said "well if it's just silliness...can we watch it again?  I like a little silliness."  So we watched it again and she still didn't get it, but she laughed with me.  And it was further confirmation that Jimmy Fallon is contagious joy and who doesn't need a more of that in their lives!?

In case you didn't see it (and I am smart enough to put this link in correctly...) here it is.  Enjoy!

Jimmy Fallon Tina Fey Lip Flip

2 comments:

  1. I'm with mom....silliness! Thanks for sharing it though, cause Richard insists we watch David Letterman.

    ReplyDelete