Saturday, February 22, 2014

Pioneering in the Suburbs

Part of the new normal - one of my least fave parts, I must admit, is this setting of the alarm on Saturday in order to get up and keep mom on her schedule.

I had a total throw-back Friday night last night (to 1996ish)- escaped upstairs by myself (Patrick was home, so I left the fam to fend for themselves after 9:00) and watched the Olympics without apology.  Big ole Diet Dr. Pepper over ice.  Food Network magazine for the commercials.  Phone charged with a few games going with my faceless Gems with Friends and Ruzzle pals.  And 2 Jimmy Fallons on DVR.  Pure heaven.  I didn't speak a dozen words between 9pm and midnight.  I actually sent my son a text to bring me up a cold bottle of water...pitiful, but somehow a satisfying guilty pleasure!  Anyway, I got to sleep after 1:00, so the alarm was not my friend this morning.

One of the ways I treat myself on Saturdays is to make cereal instead of a hot meal.  No pans to wash!  YAY! and I put the Pioneer Woman on TV.  Mom doesn't understand Food Network - she likes news shows and talk shows and not surprisingly - kid shows.  The simple physical humor makes her laugh.  But HEY!  I had to set my alarm on a Saturday, so I get my Ree and Lad and wide open Oklahoma vistas.

The outcome of having two 30-minutes blocks of Pioneer Woman on in the mornings means nearly every Saturday evening or Sunday lunch we end up with a Pioneer meal on the table.  Tonight it's the Cowboy Tex Mex Fajitas that were on the first episode this morning.

I shopped, I marinated, I chopped and chopped and chopped, I QC'd more of the pico than was necessary (Melissa D'Arabian's easy pico, by the way - it's my new love! http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/easy-pico-de-gallo-recipe.html) and the house smells divine.

The problem with all-day prep is it puts mom in flux.  That kind of activity usually means we will be eating within the hour.  And bless her heart - she can't remember what I have told her. She can sit with a digital clock right in front of her and can no longer tell you what time it is.  So she is antsy!  And she is trying to be "sly".  I want to be respectful and let her get her questions out before I answer them, but she is trying to hint and manipulate - 2 things that just aren't possible with ALZ - to see if it's nearly time for supper.  She still enjoys meals - the social part, the routine, feeling like she is participating just like everyone else.  So we've been dancing this weird when-is-dinner dance for the better part of 2 hours.

I guess that's why I decided to sit down at the computer.  Gathered all the pieces and parts, bowls and platters, ziploc bags and jars onto the back of the stove, cleaned the counters, turned off the lights in the kitchen (darned open-concept!), grabbed mom a bowl of grapes - her favorite snack that's not ice cream or a cookie and tried to bring some peace to the household.



Peyton is doing her part, by watching Dog with a Blog (NOT a fave - but the dog makes mom smile every time!) and I sense calm replacing anxiety.  I'm going to do most of the cooking outside on the grill, so I think we are safe for the rest of the evening.  Let's hope she likes the fajitas...heck, let's hope we all like them!  I always make a recipe exactly like it says the first time and then make notes on what needs tweaked if it's worth tweaking.   After all this - please let it not be an "I'm so sorry, it looked so good on the show" recipe!

I have faith in my Pioneer Woman - she rarely let's me down (I've chosen to forget about that unfortunate baked chicken spaghetti!)  Fingers crossed.

1 comment:

  1. In this household it is game shows....from the minute the caregiver leaves until Mom goes to bed at night, And when Mom gets hungry we always know because she will get up and start trying to set the table...you know how that goes....she can't remember where anything is or what she should put on the table or what size plates, etc.....Then you know it is time to give her a snack to hold her over until dinnertime. Keep Smiling........

    ReplyDelete