Wednesday, May 28, 2014

One Word Wednesday: Small


One of the most interesting things I have experienced since becoming a caregiver to my 86-year-old mother and her over-the-top-advanced-stage Alzheimer's is how SMALL my world has become.

Her need to have me near.  My need to make sure she is safe.  The lack of resources for Alzheimer's patients.  The routine that makes her disease slightly more manageable.  And her anxiety and paranoia when she leaves the house.  All of these contribute to a much smaller world for me.

I used to be able to run and meet someone for coffee or lunch without much thought or planning.  I drove 30 minutes into our downtown area to work every day.  I might travel across town to go to a new farmer's market or boutique or art fair on any given Saturday.  We tried to go to a couple of sporting events, a water park, a play, a museum and a festival or two every year.  We might stay the night wherever Murph's baseball tournament might be instead of driving home.  I saw a LOT of different faces over the course of a week.

Now I stay close to home.  I see my family and the people who are working with mom - doctors, therapists, home health aides, case workers.  We eat at home.  We watch movies at home.  I do all my shopping in a 2 mile radius of home.  If it weren't for my kids - I might NEVER leave my zip code!

My days are smaller too - we eat meals on a regular schedule.  We eat food that is familiar.  We watch the exact same shows every day.  We have the exact same conversations every day.  I might answer the same question 50 times or more every day. And we do as much as possible in the same order every day.  (which is why mom detests the weekends!)

And the strangest thing is - I don't really mind.  I get frustrated.  I get angry sometimes.  I feel "different" than most of my friends.  But in the grand scheme of things, I don't mind.  

I am actually enjoying the smallness of my life.  I am able to focus more on the little things.  I am more involved in my kids life.  I find great pleasure in my family.  I have noticed things in my neighborhood that I have probably been driving by for years oblivious.  I watch the traffic report on the morning news and feel grateful that I don't have to worry about that anymore.  The check out men and women at my local market know me and we chat.  They smile when they see me.  I get gas at the same place every week and know their names.  Peanut's teachers know me and wave or pop over to the window to share something about her day at pick up time.  I have found a rhythm to my new life.

I wonder sometimes if mom has to go into long-term care or this disease takes her sooner than later - will I be able to return to a BIGGER life?  Will I be able to swim in the big pond again?  Do I even want to?  I am still young enough to have lots of working left in me - so I guess I'll do what I have to do.  

But I have discovered a different side of my personality.  A new set of interests.  A new happy place.  And it's here in my SMALL world.  

I guess this is the blessing that comes with the burden of caring for mom.  The gift that is wrapped up in all the sad and awful things that are a part of Alzheimer's.  The silver lining around the dark cloud that hangs over mom every day for the rest of her life.

They say the world is once again a small town - of course, that's because of the internet.  My world is now a small world because of a choice, a disease and determination to make the best of things. 



10 comments:

  1. Well our writings were very similar until you started rambling on about how wonderful you are finding it and enjoying your smaller world LOL....I am so glad that you can always manage to keep a great attitude, it is getting harder and harder for me each day. Thank you again, for giving us a place to vent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a hot mess! You know I've been considering if I should put mom in a facility and I realize daily that I really want more time with my kids and you can muster a LOT of patience when the reward is great. Mom's nurses laugh at me when I have to walk out into the hall so I don't bark at her or throw a lamp at her (JK).

      Delete
  2. Is there any way to have someone come in to watch her so you can get some time away every now and then? It might be good for you to be able to go to lunch with a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to find someone. I placed an ad on a local community senior forum. I have reached out to her Home Health agency's social worker. I have contacted my friend who works for the Alzheimer's Association and I have posted it on my facebook page and have gotten NO replies. The agencies that provide care are so expensive that we just can't afford it unless there is an emergency. I have faith that if I ask enough people, I will find just the right person. It just may take a while longer. Keep your fingers crossed for me please!

      Delete
  3. I love how people think the answer to our problems is just to have someone come over and stay with them while we go on with our lives. Of course they have our best interests at heart. But if I leave, even to go to the grocery story, he is anxious and the rest of the day changes based on my few moments away. People who haven't walked in our shoes will never get it. And even if you are a caregiver doing your own walk it is not the same as mine or yours. Every person is different. Just how God planned this world. I just have to live it moment by moment and know that when my caregiving days end....it will mean that my husband has died. So I prefer to be a caregiver. Even if it is the hardest thing I have ever, ever, ever done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom is the same way...if I'm gone and EVERYONE else is home...it's just not good enough and we all suffer with it for the rest of the day and sometimes into the next day. It's so awful.

      Delete
  4. Hi, I've just found your blog after you left a comment for me. This post is beautiful. How wonderful that you are embracing this stage. Your mother is so lucky to have you. You have made a great sacrifice but you seem at peace with your choice. I think this is beautiful and I think you must be a very special person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping by. And thanks for your kind words. There are good days and bad days, but it's what you do for family

      Delete
  5. Hi Lisa .. this is an amazing post - realising that your mother's care is the most important ... that was one of the things I thought about ..my mother wouldn't leave me if I was ill and thus I was there for her and realised the importance of that in her last 5+ years ... she was able to talk and I was very very lucky in her attitude to her illness, as too my uncle.

    Your expressive words you've used here and the way of describing how life has become is incredibly positive and I'm so grateful for you that you're content with your lot - realising things will be sad, yet there will be time for you later on. As Ranci says above you do seem to have found peace with your choice.

    Dementia/Alzheimers is very challenging ... but this post really rings out with love ... and the care and thoughtfulness you're putting forward for your mother ... and it appears the family are accepting of things too - that makes a huge difference.

    It's a small world - yet a big one too ... and I have to say starting the blog became my saviour .. as the blog enabled me to keep my brain alive and interested ... while providing me with interesting topics of conversation for my mother and uncle ... and gave me new input to learn about ... which I've developed a passion for.

    I came to look at my mother's illness as a blessing too - that continues on ... I've experienced looking after her and being with others in the Nursing Centre that has equipped me with things I'd have never thought about in the scheme of life if this time had not occurred.

    Wonderful Lisa .. really wonderful .. my thoughts will be with you along your journey ...

    PS re MooMan - it's not on general release ..but can be bought via the Amazon Market Place ... I shipped a couple over to the States and they work ...

    Thanks so much for your comment on my "blog sandwich update" .. a new series of postings on occasions I suspect .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lisa. Thankyou for your support and lovely comments this past month

    This is such a beautiful post. I love this view of your world you are expressing here.

    ReplyDelete