Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Random Acts of Alzheimer's

Another week, another Wednesday, another word.

This week's One Word Wednesday prompt is RANDOM and I am becoming quite an expert on that!

I completely underestimated the effects of Alzheimer's on mom.  I knew about the short term memory loss.  I knew about the loss of names and faces.  But I was not expecting how RANDOM mom's actions could be.  How the brain can take something you have done every day for the past 75+ year and turn it around and upside down and have it come out in the most unexpected way is baffling to me.

It's a beautiful afternoon and the sun is shining.  That means mom has taken her favorite seat on the couch by the big front windows to enjoy the day.  I join her in the living room and sit down at the computer to spend some time in blogland.  My husband is at work, the kids are in school - mom is heading in the direction of a nap.

All the while, Sophie, our rescue beast, is stretched out long in front of the window right by mom's feet.  She loves looking out the window more than mom.  Besides, it's her job.  She fancies herself a watchdog.
She's more of a sunshine dog than a watch dog


Well, something caught Sophie's eye and she decided to bark.  Goodbye nap.  Goodbye uneventful afternoon.  Mom was ready to chat! 

Mom always opens every conversation with "Is there anything we're supposed to do today?"  It's a slippery slope, because how you answer and how she hears determines how many times she will ask it.  She can grab on to this question with the strength of 10 men and not let it go.

On this particular day, I believe I answered with "Nothing special, just enjoying the sunshine."  And out of nowhere, mom launched into an argument based entirely on information she had been given by our dog in an earlier conversation.  And nothing about this argument seemed strange to mom.  Not even the talking dog.

I tried to fluff it off - didn't want to make her feel silly for thinking Sophie had been talking to her.  That didn't work.  Tried to point blank tell her that dogs can't talk - even our beautiful Sophie, who is quite brilliant. 

"I see that you have theatre tickets for this evening, m'lady"




Nothing worked.  She was convinced that Sophie had told her she had an appointment with her doctor.  She had details - the time, how soon we needed to leave.  And that wasn't all.  They talked about what dress she should wear to see Lisa's play this evening.  I'm Lisa and I can assure you I am not doing any theater these days.  (Aside from my brilliant performances pretending to be excited about answering the same question 30 times a day)

Nothing swayed her.  She was up and looking for her "pocketbook" (she hasn't carried a purse since she got her walker) so she would be ready to leave and a phone so she could call me (because everyone here is "stupid and lazy").  At one point she looked right at Sophie and tried to get her to tell me what they had talked about.  I think Sophie wagged her tail and laid back down.

And then it stopped.  Just like that. 

Five minutes later she asked me "Is there anything we're supposed to do today?" and without hesitation, I said "NO."   I didn't want to muddy the water and get her all upset again.  I guess it worked because she smiled, said thank you and closed her eyes for a nap.

Just one of the more RANDOM acts of Alzheimer's.

2 comments:

  1. That is a great story!! One that you will be telling your grandchildren one day. Here is a funny thing, the book I started reading last night has a scene where a little girl is drowning and a dog jumps in to save her. The little girl says that the dog talked to her, telling her she did not need to be afraid. That dog's name is Silvie.....you never know.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious...in a very sad way. I am glad that you can find the humor. Richard usually asks me at night....what are we doing tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete